• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anandtech Nexus 7 review: "It’s easily the best small Android tablet I’ve ever used."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
AnandTech Nexus 7 review

DSC_3069sm.jpg

I really like the Nexus 7. It’s easily the best small Android tablet I’ve ever used. The build quality is great, the display is amazing and the hardware is fast. The new Nexus 7 also happens to be the most color accurate Android device we've ever tested - easily competitive with the iPad's Retina Display, and delivers the longest battery life we've ever seen from an Android tablet. You also get the benefits of owning a Nexus device: timely updates and unadulterated Android.

This year ASUS and Google raised the bar for sure. The new Nexus 7 is no longer just a decent tablet at a good price, it's an incredible tablet. With this Nexus, it's clear that Google no longer wants to rely on value alone. The 2013 Nexus 7 redefines what you should expect to pay for a truly great tablet.

SimleuqiR

I love my 7" inches...it feels great one handing it.
The tablet of course.

Paired with the Chromecast its even better; browse Youtube or Netflix on the tablet, shoot it to the TV, and then continue to browse mobile Gaf.
3AQmK.gif

No need to use a laptop to browse the internet, and no need to turn on my PS3 or Xbox to stream web video.

sant

Still waiting for Google Play Music All Access and Chromecast up here. Why do you hate us Google?

this_guy

DAT battery life!

I'm surprised how good the battery life tested. I have a Nexus 7, and I seem to charge mine every other day. When I had the Ipad (3rd gen) and Amazon Kindle Fire 8.9" I would go several days without charging. The Nexus does charge quickly though unlike the other two.

Threi

notag
It's an improvement on an already great tablet (yes, the original N7 is still a great tablet). Probably my most-used electronic device hands-down.

Thank you based Google.

Somnid

I'm surprised how good the battery life tested. I have a Nexus 7, and I seem to charge mine every other day. When I had the Ipad (3rd gen) and Amazon Kindle Fire 8.9" I would go several days without charging. The Nexus does charge quickly though unlike the other two.

Generally a larger battery takes longer to charge.

tokkun

These tests are about how much energy is used while continuously doing a task. The ability to leave it for days without charging is more about the battery efficiency when idle. Two different things.

sangreal

I agree, definitely the best android tablet marketed by google with the nexus 7 moniker. Far superior to all the competition in this class

RM8

Looks fiiiiiine. How can I possibly justify buying this if I own an Android phone and 10 inches tablet already? :(

BadWolf

It also doesn't have its build quality either, or a metric fuckton tons of tablet optimized apps.

Retina iPad mini will right the wrongs of the first one. All in due time.

Any word on when its coming out?

Thinking of getting it for my mom for her birthday in November.

(Nexus 7 is more my cup of tea)

MercuryLS

Banned
Any word on when its coming out?

Thinking of getting it for my mom for her birthday in November.

(Nexus 7 is more my cup of tea)

The rumors point to a very late 2013 release, I'm betting on November personally. They might get it out earlier if Samsung can pump up their display numbers quick enough.

Would this be a good device for second screen features on PS4/XB1?

Without having an actual working app to test with, yes. It's small and light enough to hold comfortably with one hand, the screen is sharp and bright and it's very responsive. Personally I still think 10"is too big for tablets. 7-8" is the sweet spot.

GatorBait

It also doesn't have its build quality either, or a metric fuckton tons of tablet optimized apps.

I haven't run into any of the manufacturing issues that so people have, so keep that in mind. But I find the build quality on the Nexus to be great. Feels great in the hand and really solidly put together, which was honestly surprising to me; I thought I'd feel a bigger difference in build quality moving from an iPad 2 to the Nexus.

reKon

Banned
I thought the battery life was supposed to be poor due to the screen? WSJ and stuff said it was significantly worse than the iPad and google used bullshit metrics when testing it like wifi off and other stuff for the time estimates?

That lady made those comments in her review but never provided information about what the actual brightness was. Lol how stupid..

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I haven't tried the 2013 but the original Nexus 7 was by far and away the best Android tablet on the market and a single-handed vindication of the 7 inch format.

Also proof positive that Google does best when they exercise control over stuff and make high quality flagship devices.

I'm not sure if the resolution versus battery life on the 2013's screen is ideal but by all accounts the device is still best-of-breed

SUPREME1

Banned

If you got the time for Apple to play catch-up, more power to you. Life is short, I'm rolling with the best available tech.

Groof

Nothing wrong with skipping a gen. I'll probably do the same with my 2013 N7 if it holds up for two years.

I'd wager the new Nexus 7 could and probably will hold up for 2 years or more, mainly due to the sheer difference in quality of the internals compared to its predecessor. While 4.3 breathed some new life into my 2012 version, it still becomes a laggy, janky mess at times like the AnandTech review mentioned.

twofold

Doubt you'll be saying the same thing 10 apps and 6 months in

I have 130 apps installed on my launch day Nexus 4, a device with the same SoC as the 2013 Nexus 7. It still runs as smoothly and as perfectly as the day I got it.

Unless the Nexus 7's hardware design has a bottleneck somewhere that will make itself known in 6 months time, I don't think performance is going to a problem on this tablet for a long time.

BadWolf

Really tempted to go out and get one right now (there is a local $25 off promotion) but all these issues ppl are having is holding me back :(

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
brettison are you getting paid by google? this is the second nexus 7 review thread you made recently, with the last one a review by "you". this OP doesnt even have any content besides anandtechs review. just looks very suspect.

I find it suspect that you are clueless about GAF and the new news deserves new threads rule. Plus Anand is generally looked at as the best long form tech review site on the net.

Sorry you are so clueless though.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I find it suspect that you are clueless about GAF and the new news deserves new threads rule. Plus Anand is generally looked at as the best long form tech review site on the net.

Sorry you are so clueless though.

Over in gaming we tend to have single threads for product reviews, so its not like there isn't a precedent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom